by Brenda Brown
Let’s welcome 2014 with a cheerful, thankful and hopeful spirit: inspired, guided and made stronger by the lessons learned in 2013. Life is best if we look forward rather than looking behind. Let’s choose to love, be happy, kind and make the most of the upcoming year.
Pat and I completed our 17th year with SynAudCon. Even after all these years, we are grateful to Don and Carolyn Davis for this opportunity to offer audio education. Our sponsors and members are the backbone of SynAudCon and they enable us to reach people and do things that would otherwise be impossible.
“Change” was President Obama slogan. It’s also an appropriate slogan for the audio industry. It’s crazy the amount of change that is taking place in such a small amount of time. “Audio” companies now see themselves as “technology” companies. There is a tremendous about of pressure on the integrators as they are learning this new technology and running the business at the same time.
As the industry is going through this wild roller coast ride, SynAudCon’s will do our best to offer training to help you understand audio in the shortest amount of time and have fun doing it. Pat will be developing a new web-based course and a new in-person seminar in 2014.
I recently have been reminded of a few things.
- It just as important to design the system for the EARS as it is for the eyes.
- Success should be measured by the engineering solutions and the quality of work, not the size of the company or the size of the jobs.
- Growth should be a result of a well-engineered product or well-engineered jobs, not over-the-top marketing.
- Always ask the question, “Will the customer hear the difference if this change is made?”
- Mistakes are expensive. If you do not understand it, don’t go there until you do.
- It’s the small integrators that often come up with the most creative engineering solutions.
- Top 5 things that make us happy:
- Connect with others
- Be Active
- Keep Learning
- Give to Others
- Take Notice of things.
SynAudCon has brought us pleasure, excitement and most of all, the opportunity to meet and get to know some wonderful people. Thank you for another great year.